The key priority of the new Armenian government is the issue of holding snap parliamentary elections in the country, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said at today’s parliament session, introducing the new Cabinet’s program.
“The main purpose of those elections must be returning the mechanism and opportunity of fair and transparent elections to the people,” he said.
The PM reflected on the issue of organizing those elections now.
“Holding the elections at the moment is the most beneficial option for our political team, since the enthusiasm of the velvet revolution is at its peak, and there is no doubt that our team will win with an absolute majority,” he said.
“But if we act out of this logic, it will mean the authorities have changed but the content is the same, with the new authorities pushing forward the obsession of gripping on power. We believe the elections should be held within one year, which would allow the other political forces to get out of this embarrassment and make some preparations.”
He unveiled his government’s plan to make landmark changes in the Electoral Code in the upcoming period.
“The Cabinet will create a working group to pass the electoral reforms, inviting all the parliamentary factions, civil society representatives and other extra-parliamentary forces to get involved in it,” he said.
- Presentation of Armenian translation of 2nd President’s book
- Armenia’s Prosecutor’s Office reacts to the letter asking for ex-President Kocharyan’s release
- Ex-mayor of Turkey’s Van, who visited Armenia, is sentenced to almost 9 years in prison
- Russia’s Putin to visit Azerbaijan in late September
- Prime Minister Karen Karapetyan meets with RPA-nominated presidential candidate Armen Sargsyan
- Iran re-opens border crossing with Iraqi Kurdistan region: state media
- EU publishes text of agreement to be signed with Armenia
- Armenia President receives Russian Industry and Trade Minister
- Serzh Sargsyan said- why not, take part. Ara Abrahamyan
- “Stand up, Armenia” civic movement expanded the agenda, what to expect